September is National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month. Recently we learned that childhood obesity is on a slight decline in Iowa and that is great news. But, it is important that we continue to promote a healthy lifestyle and help future generations become even healthier.
We encourage families to look at this as a “teaching moment.” This is a chance to commit yourselves to helping your children get into better shape, and as you do that, the whole family will get into better shape too! As parents, you can help your family move more each day and have fun with it. Eat right and move more; it’s that simple. Think about what your family can do to be active together. It doesn’t have to be expensive, start by taking a family walk! Check with the Parks and Recreation Department (515) 462-3258 and see what’s going on this fall!
Mark your calendars for Wednesday, October 4 for our annual Start Somewhere Wa1K! Working with Montross Pharmacy, Fareway, Hy-Vee and Madison County Public Health, we’ll be providing you opportunities to get out and enjoy a little exercise. Watch for information on social media and other sources to find out how you can be involved. A 1K is about a 15 minute stroll and is about .62 miles.
Make Time and Make it a Priority!
- Plan ahead. Make physical activity a regular part of your family’s schedule. Write it on a family activity calendar.
- Pick activities requiring no new skills, such as walking or climbing stairs.
- Identify free times. Keep track of your daily activities for one week. Pick two 30-minute time slots you could use for family activity time.
- Add physical activity to your daily routine. For example, walk or ride your bike to work, school, or a friend’s house, have a family dog walk, exercise while you watch TV, or park farther away from your destination.
- Try to walk, jog, or swim during your lunch hour, or take fitness breaks instead of coffee breaks. Try doing something active after dinner with your family.
- Plan activities for weekends.
- Ask friends and family to not only support, but also join you in your efforts.
- Set up a party or other social event with activities that get people moving, like dancing or having a jump rope contest.
- Exercise with friends.
- Play with your kids or ask them to join you for an exercise video or fitness game.
- Develop new friendships with physically active people. Join a group, such as one of the fitness centers, or the bike club. Start a walking or hiking club.
One should never start an exercise program without checking with his or her health care provider. Visit the Health Trust Physicians Clinic in Winterset, or the Earlham Clinic in Earlham and get the “a-ok” to get you and your family into shape!
We thank the National Center for Disease Control for some of these tips.
P.S. The times for our Urgent Care Clinic at Health Trust Physicians Clinic in Winterset on Saturday were incorrectly listed. They are open from 8:30 a.m. to noon. No appointment is necessary. Urgent Care hours Monday – Friday are 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. Call (515) 462-2950 if you have any questions.