DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nurses
About the DAISY Foundation
The DAISY Foundation was established in 1999 by the family of J. Patrick Barnes who died of complications of the auto-immune disease Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia Purpura (ITP) at the age of 33. (DAISY is an acronym for diseases attacking the immune system.)
During Pat’s 8-week hospitalization, his family was awestruck by the care and compassion his nurses provided not only to Pat but to everyone in his family. So one of the goals they set in creating a Foundation is Pat’s memory was to recognize extraordinary nurses everywhere who make an enormous difference in the lives of so many people by the super-human work they do every day.
What is the DAISY Award?
The DAISY Award is an international program that awards and celebrates the extraordinary clinical skill and compassionate care given by nurses every day. The Madison County Health Care System is proud to be a DAISY Award partner, recognizing one of our nurses with this special honor each year.
Each DAISY Award honoree will be recognized at a public ceremony in his/her unit and will receive a certificate, a DAISY Award pin and a hand-carved stone sculpture entitled “A Healer’s Touch.”
Criteria for Nomination
Madison County Health Care System has established this award to yearly recognize one nurse from our facility. Nominations may be made by physicians, managers, peers, staff, or patients and their families.
- The nominee must have a current Iowa Nurse License and practice direct patient care. LPN’s. RN’s, and Advanced Practice Nurses are eligible.
- Has worked a minimum of 2 years in the facility with at least 1 year as a Nurse.
- The nomination will include the following:
- Describe how your nominee has contributed to the delivery of quality patient care.
- How would you describe how this nominee demonstrates compassion to those served?
- Complete the formal Nomination Form by July 15th, 2020.
- Selection committee will include the CEO, CCO, Human Resources, Nurse Manager, and past Daisy Award Winning Nurses.
Daisy Award Nomination
Nominate a nurse that meets the eligible criteria for the Daisy Award for Extraordinary Nurses.